Sunday, May 2, 2010

My Book Report

Just finished reading a wonderful book--It's called "The Help". I couldn't put it down, and seem to have picked up the accent' of the nigra maids in the book! Great~ Anyway, the book reminded me so much of growing up in the South, and the attitudes I was around while young.  One of the little towns we lived in, in Texas had a sign on the outskirts that said "If any niggers are caught in the city limits, after sunset, they will be hung" ! And they were---
It was a different world---and not a good one in so many ways. I was scared to death of "negros"---didn't know why, certainly my parents had no dealings with any--but that was just the way it was. The term "high yellow" was used to describe a 1/2 white child--who wasn't welcome among the blacks nor the whites. A term my Dad just used the other day~ Crazy!
Anyway, if you're interested in reading a good book, I highly recommend this one~

No comments: